Screen production is a highly collaborative industry requiring creative input from a number of participants across the whole production process from idea conception to finished project.
Digby Law provides expert business advisory services from inception of an idea, whether that’s a film script, television concept or design brief up to delivery of the project which could be a feature film, television series, TV commercial, book publication or stage play.
We provide strategic advice and commercial support to a wide range of productions involving issues related to regulation, insurance, contracts with third parties, legal obligations and financial responsibilities.
Business Advisory Services Include:
- Support Producers through creative development and the production process and trouble shoot any issues to protect the integrity of the creative idea whilst ensuring compliance with all applicable codes, regulations, laws and insurance.
- Advise on the establishment of good chain-of-title and creation of Pitch Materials;
- Negotiate with celebrities, talent, voiceovers, music, photographers, and illustrators etc.
- Issue and review production and third party contracts and licences – Artists, Celebrities, production agreements, footage, music etc.
- Identify any Intellectual Property permissions required and negotiate with rights holders i.e. photographs, filmed footage, likeness, logos, designs, products etc.
- Advise on Format Rights and Packaging Deals;
- Advise on Distribution Agreements, Sales Agency Agreements and all aspects of the commercial exploitation of creative projects.
Skills and Characteristics of the Business Advisor:
- A go-to approachable person to support the production team and an ability to develop internal & external trusted relationships with production partners, trade bodies and unions.
- Focus on quality, accuracy and efficiency and how best to achieve desired commercial and creative outcomes.
- Aware of cost control and efficiency when dealing with financial outgoings and ability to negotiate.
- Organised and able to manage project outcomes to ensure the most efficient use of time and that all deadlines are met.
- Practical and uses initiative to be a problem solver and think laterally – after all – this is a creative industry.
- Able to communicate and express advice clearly.
- Team player, reliable, positive, innovative and proactive.
For more information please contact John Gregory or Stephen Digby